What some of them wear daily, have influenced boy band costume culture.
Many of us who live in the unfortunate mono globalised world, don’t realise how our personal view of the world is being streamlined to be same through an array of ways, largely media – news, entertainment, advertising, phones, apps etc.
One episode of realization I had was observing and getting to know Somalis.
1. What some most of us call terrorists, they call coast guards. Millions worth of their fish is being stolen by foreign ships.
2. They used to produce enough food for themselves, including the knowledge of how to do so, until a war came and ‘foreign food aid.’
3. Of all foreign speakers, they have some of the best and fluent Arabic.
4. I’ve seen Arabs sit down one on one learning classical Arabic from Somalis. Somali students.
5. Most students who are looking to learn or improve or refine their Qur’anic recitation, would first and foremost seek for a Somali to guide them through. Including Arabs who are here from across the Arab world.
Those are just points. But here are two important allusions.
1. What does that say about the amazing society that theirs is built upon?
2. When you use a different set of measuring sticks, how would you rank such a people (as opposed to what’s commonly perceived)?
May these beautiful people be preserved and raised.